- New Car Guide
- Search Cars
- Dealer Directory
- News and Advice
- My Tools
- Dealer Centre
- Other GN Sites
Keep you and your family safe during the hot months
Summer has rolled around and heat could be a burden to your vehicle, especially when you are taking long drives. Give your car a fresh start before you embark on that road trip for a staycation somewhere.
* Air conditioning – If you notice the AC not running at its optimum level, i.e., you only get cool air intermittently, it's about time you had it checked by a professional for leaks. You also need to have the vents deeply cleaned to get rid of contaminants and musty smell, if any.
* Air filter – It plays a huge role in your vehicle's acceleration, gas mileage and engine performance. However, if you experience driving issues due to dirt and debris in the filter, you may consider installing a new one.
* Battery – Extreme summer temperatures can take a toll on your car's battery. Experts advise keeping it clean at all times to avoid corrosion and having it checked regularly or replaced if necessary. You don't want to be stuck in the middle of the road in the sweltering heat, do you?
* Brakes – Brake pedals too soft or too hard? Bothered by grinding or scraping noise? Bad road traction? Have the faulty braking system fixed or replaced.
* Oil – It keeps the engine and its parts in good condition. Dirty oil signals changing; get a new oil filter as well.
* Tyres – Rising temperatures affect a car's tyre pressure. Ensure you maintain the correct pressure. Overinflation lessens tire friction, underinflation leads to blowouts. Also, have your tyres aligned if you feel your car is moving to a different direction even if you are driving straight.
• Maintain correct tyre pressure to avoid blowouts
• Have the AC checked to get the utmost comfort
• Have oil, brake pads, air filter changed if necessary
Know the importance of vehicle service
Source: Ellen Joyce Soriano, Special to Classifieds
The writer is a freelancer